Thursday, July 12, 2012

{ design book review - design sponge at home }

My close friends and family will tell you that I have two major weaknesses - well many more, but I'm only fessing up to two this morning!  I love magazines and design books.  As I keep collecting them my rationale has been that I will use them someday in my flower barn cafe.  I picture ladies flipping through them while they sip coffee.  So I keep collecting and storing!  Thank you God for our dreams.

Like many of you I love the internet for the sheer amount of information that is available at the click of a button - but nothing can replace a glossy photo in my hand - one that I dog ear - coming back to again and again.  Gorgeous pictures really fill me with energy and inspire me.  Many of my projects have come from something I've seen in print.

I have decided to share with you some of the books that I have purchased and to give you a quick overview in case you might want one for yourself.  I buy all my design books at Barnes and Noble online in the used book section.  No matter where you purchase books I say always check the used book section - they are a fraction of the price and have all been in perfect condition.  Curl up with a cup of coffee and enjoy!

{ Design Sponge at Home } by Grace Bonney is amazing!  Grace started her blog design*sponge as a way to connect with other design hounds who love and have a passion for design.  On her blog one of the main features is her column called "Sneak Peek" where she highlights homes of her favorite designers.  In the book they feature many many designers and their homes - each spread has tips and many have coordinating floral arrangements.  Most of the homes are small and include decorating challenges that many of us face. The book also includes "how-to" tips for projects such as "DIY jewelry bust", "stamped fabric curtains" and "upholstered Otomi headboard". 

{image from barnesandnoble.com}

No comments:

Post a Comment